A Caribeño cocktail is a very simple type of Dairquiri that mixes rum with coconut water, sugar and a tiny bit of lime juice. You'll quickly fall in love with this incredibly refreshing summer drink to enjoy during the holidays.
If you have not used coconut water as a cocktail mixer, yet, it's time to try it out! The tropical flavor of this coconut cocktail will immediately transport you to the Caribbean islands.
It is such a great alternative to the classic Piña Colada and coconut margarita. Plus, you can easily make the Caribeño more or less boozy by adding more or less coconut water.
Why you'll love this recipe
- This rum with coconut water cocktail is probably the simplest cocktail ever.
- It's surprisingly delicious.
- It's incredibly refreshing during summer.
- White rum is the base of a Caribeño. I like to use regular or ages Bacardi.
- Lime juice brightens up the cocktail with its tangy, slightly sweet flavor. You only need a tiny amount to prevent overpowering the flavor of the coconut water.
- Simple syrup balances out the drink and adds texture. If you don't want to buy simple syrup, heat 1 part of water with 1 part of sugar until completely dissolved. You can also microwave the mixture.
- Coconut water beautifully finishes off the drink. You can use fresh or store-bought coconut water.
- Use fresh coconut water from a green coconut if you can.
- Buy coconut water without additives if you get it at the grocery store. Make sure it's free from gums and added sugars.
- Shake the cocktail for best results. This helps thoroughly mixing the sugar, citrus juice and alcohol, while also cooling the drink.
- Freeze coconut water into ice cubes to prevent watering down the cocktail and losing the coconut flavor.
Step-by-step with pictures
STEP 1: Pour the rum, lime juice, simple syrup and coconut water into a Mason jar or cocktail shaker.
STEP 2: Fill the shaker with ice. Give it a good shake to mix and cool the drink.
STEP 3: Pour the mixture into a tall glass over fresh ice.
STEP 4: Garnish with lime.
Elo's tip: To make it fun, serve the cocktail in a fresh green coconut.
Watch the video!
- Add a splash of pineapple juice to the cocktail shaker to enhance the tropical vibes of this coconut water cocktail.
- Alternatively, use part coconut water and part orange juice.
- To intensify the coconut flavor, use part coconut water and part full-fat coconut milk. It will also make the drink a lot creamier.
Frequently asked question
Yes and I can only recommend it! Aged rum has honey notes that blend extremely well with coconut water. I like Bacardi Maestro, a double ages white rum.
You can make this cocktail with white or dark rum. Make sure it has subtle aromas to prevent overpowering the coconut water.
Don’t forget to join the Cooking With Elo newsletter. You’ll get gluten-free and vegan dinner ideas sent right to your inbox.
Caribeño Cocktail – Rum With Coconut Water
- 2 fl. ounces (60 ml) white rum
- ¼ fl. ounce (15 ml) lime juice
- ¼ fl. ounce (15 ml) simple syrup
- 4 fl. ounce (90 ml) coconut water more to taste
- Add the rum, lime juice and simple syrup to a highball glass and give it a good stir.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes and fill it up with coconut water. Stir and garnish with a slice of lime.
More summer cocktail recipes
Loved it? Please rate it!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, make sure to let us know how you liked it by leaving a star rating and a comment below! Your feedback really matters! To never miss a recipe, follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook.
Happy you liked its simplicity!