This Mediterranean tomato cucumber salad is an easy summer salad recipe that comes together in less than 15 minutes. It is perfect for a simple and light lunch. Toss with an olive oil balsamic dressing for extra flavor.
Easy summer salad
Are you looking for a refreshing summer salad that doesn't require a lot of effort? Then this Mediterranean tomato-cucumber salad should be right up your alley. It is made of a few simple ingredients with a very basic (but super flavorful) dressing. It reminds me of a Greek tomato and cucumber salad without the feta cheese. The Kalamata olives and Mediterranean herbs will instantly transport you to a warm and sunny place.
There is no doubt that this vegan salad makes a perfect lunch during the hot summer days. You can easily toss everything together around lunchtime or make it ahead of time and eat in on the go.
Can you eat raw buckwheat?
Buckwheat groats are the hulled buckwheat kernels. Although they are often eaten after soaking, cooking, sprouting or fermentation, they can be consumed raw. Topping your salads with raw buckwheat groats is a great way to use them in recipes.
Add buckwheat to make your salads more filling
Two important constituents of foods that help you feel more satiated after a meal are proteins and fibers. When proteins reach the gut, they cause the release of hormones (i.e., CCK, PYY, GLP-1) that (among other mechanisms) signal to your brain that you are full. Fibers cannot be digested in the gut and absorb liquids, which provide volume and make you feel satiated.
Buckwheat groats are high in both fiber and protein, which is why they help keep you full longer when added to a salad. According to the USDA, 100 g (approx. ½ cup) raw buckwheat groats contain:
- 300 calories
- 62 g carbs
- 2.2 g fiber
- 0 g sugar
- 13 g protein
- 2.2 g fat
- 0 mg sodium
Step by step with pictures
Wash and chop the vegetables. Wash the tomatoes, cucumber and arugula. Cut everything into bite-size pieces.
Make the dressing. Simply whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and herbs in a bowl until combined.
Add everything to a salad bowl or a plate and drizzle with the dressing. Top with buckwheat groats for some crunch.
Why you'll love this summer salad recipe
- It is ready in < 15 minutes
- There is no cooking required
- It is made from a few simple simple ingredients
- It is naturally vegan
More buckwheat recipes
- Easy 3-ingredient buckwheat galettes
- Roasted eggplant with buckwheat and pomegranate
- Buckwheat salad
Mediterranean Tomato Cucumber Salad
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- ½ cucumber
- 200 g arugula
- 4 tablespoon pitted Kalamata or black olives
- 4 tablespoon raw or sprouted buckwheat groats optional
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and the cucumber. Optionally peel the cucumber. Cut the tomatoes in half and the cucumber in half, then in slices.
- Wash and drain the arugula. Add it to a salad bowl with the tomatoes, cucumber and pitted olives.
- Make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup with the mint and oregano. Pour it over the salad and toss until everything is coated.
- If desired, sprinkle with buckwheat groats for some crunch.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, make sure to let me know how you liked it by rating it and leaving a comment below! Your feedback really matters! Follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook to never miss a recipe.