This slightly spicy Thaï glass noodle soup is super easy to make and comes together in one pot. It's made with carrots, red pepper, full-date coconut milk and red curry paste. You can make it with glass noodles or rice noodles depending on your preferences. Add in some freshly grated ginger and top it with some spring onions for extra freshness.
Step-by-step with pictures
Cut the vegetables. Mince the onion very finely. Peel and grate the ginger. Wash the vegetables. Peel the carrots and core the red peppers. Cut them into very fine strips.
Sauté the onion with some coconut oil in your favorite wok pan or any other large pot.
Time-saving tip: use a julienne vegetable peeler (it looks like a regular vegetable peeler but it has some thick, sharp teeth) to turn the carrots into strips within seconds.
Sauté the carrots and the red peppers with the red curry paste. When the onions are soft, add in the red curry paste, grated ginger and a splash of vegetable broth. Let it cook for a minute until fragrant. Then, add the carrots and red pepper to the pot. Sauté them over medium-high heat for several minutes. They should get soft and lightly colored.
Add in the coconut milk and vegetable broth. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add in the glass noodles. Cover with the lid again and let the noodles cook for 5 minutes (or according to package directions). You can also use rice noodles as we did here.
Don’t forget to join the Cooking With Elo newsletter. You’ll get gluten-free and vegan dinner ideas sent right to your inbox.
Thaï Glass Noodle Soup With Coconut And Red Curry
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Dutch oven, wok pan or large pot
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons red curry paste more to taste
- 0.8 inch (2 cm) fresh ginger or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 28 ounces (800 ml) full-fat coconut milk 2 cans
- 3 cups (700 ml) vegetable broth more as needed
- 8.8 ounces (250 g) glass noodles or rice noodles
- Finely mince the onion.
- Peel the carrots. Remove the core of the red peppers. Cut the carrots and the bell pepper in thin stripes (see step-by-step pictures in post above).
- In a wok pan or large pot, heat the coconut oil. When hot, add the onion and sauté until soft.
- Add the vegetables to the wok and sauté for 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add in the curry paste, grated ginger and a splash of veggies broth. Cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the rest of the vegetable broth and the cans of coconut milk. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice noodles to the soup and cover with a lid again. Cook for 5 minutes.
- In the mean time, chop the spring onions. Serve them with the soup.
Join the 3-week soup challenge! Sign up here to get 3 soup recipes, grocery lists and bonuses sent to your inbox during the next 3 weeks! This challenge is a great way to get back into a routine and start meal prepping. You'll discover 9 nutritious, filling and delicious soups to make for yourself or your family.
More vegan soup recipes
Loved it? Please rate it!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, make sure to let me know how you liked it by leaving a star rating and a comment below. Your feedback really matters! To never miss a recipe, follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook.