This hearty vegan spinach soup is always a real suprise! It may look super simple but it's actually a flavor explosion in the mouth. It is made with fresh spinach, potatoes and white beans. Adding a splash of white wine and using qualitative vegetable broth makes all the difference. Overall, it's high in fiber and in protein and makes a wonderful weeknight meal. If you like soups that still have some bits and pieces, this one is for you!
Step-by-step with pictures
Cut the vegetables. Start by mincing the onion very finely. Peel the potatoes and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Make sure they are not too big, as small pieces will cook more quickly.
Sauté the onion. Add the onion to a large pot or Dutch oven. Sauté it in a little bit of oil until soft.
Add the potatoes to the pot. Stir well to coat the potatoes with oil. Sauté them for several minutes until lightly colored. Deglaze with white wine and let it cook for 2 minutes until it's evaporated. This step will make the soup very flavorful.
Cover the potatoes with broth. Simmer the soup with a lid on it until the potatoes are cooked.
Wash the spinach and drain the white beans. When the potatoes are cooked, add in the spinach and cover with a lid again. Wait several minutes until the spinach is wilted. Finally, add in the white beans and give it a good stir.
Don’t forget to join the Cooking With Elo newsletter. You’ll get gluten-free and vegan dinner ideas sent right to your inbox.
Vegan Spinach Soup (With Potatoes)
- Cutting board
- Vegetable peeler and sharp knife
- Measuring cups
- Large pot or Dutch oven
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 (900 g) potatoes 2 lb
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 14 oz (400 g) canned white beans
- 12 oz (350 ) baby spinach
- salt pepper
- Mince the onion and the garlic very finely.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into small bite-sized pieces.
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven with your preferred cooking oil. When hot, sauté the onion and garlic over medium-high heat until fragrant.
- Add in the potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Reduce to medium heat and deglaze with white wine.
- Pour in the vegetable broth. Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Add in the baby spinach. Cover with a lid. Give it a good stir after 2 minutes, the spinach should be wilted.
- Drain and rinse the white beans. Add them to the pot. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Join the 3-week soup challenge! Sign up here to get 3 soup recipes, grocery lists and bonuses sent to your inbox during the next 3 weeks! This challenge is a great way to get back into a routine and start meal prepping. You'll discover 9 nutritious, filling and delicious soups to make for yourself or your family.
Loved it? Please rate it!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, make sure to let us know how you liked it by leaving a star rating and a comment below! Your feedback really matters! To never miss a recipe, follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook.