Delicious apple, cucumber and spinach green juice that actually tastes good. This is my favorite green juice recipe for beginners as it doesn't contain any earthy and grassy vegetables such as kale and celery. On the contrary, this juice is super light, refreshing and doesn't taste "green". Add ginger and lemon for a tangy kick. Trust me this green juice is the perfect addition to your morning routine.
The perfect green juice for beginners
If you're only getting started with green juices, I gathered my best tips in The Ultimate Beginner Guide To Making Green Juices Taste Good. This guide will give you instructions on how to make your first green juices and give you tips to actually make them tasty. It includes a list of vegetables (and fruits) OTHER than celery and kale to add to your juices.
This apple, cucumber and spinach green juice recipe is a great one to get started with. The recipe doesn't include any earthy vegetables such as celery or sulfurous vegetables such as kale. Moreover, it also contains lemon and ginger, which make the juice super refreshing.
- Cucumber has high moisture content and a fairly neutral taste.
- Spinach has a very mild taste and is not bitter compared to other vegetables.
- Apple juice adds a sweet touch.
How to make green juice in a blender
If you don't have a juicer and want to learn how to make juices using your blender, you can read this full guide on How To Make Green Juices In A Blender In 3 Steps. This guide will also go into more detail about the benefits of blender juices versus juices made with a juicer. Here's a short recap of my 3 best tips:
- Add vegetables (or fruits) with a high moisture content such as cucumber or watermelon.
- Add juice to thin the juice and make it super flavorful. My favorite options are apple juice and pineapple juice.
- Strain the juice after blending to remove any bits. It also removes foam that usually floats on top of your juice if you don't strain it.
Tips to make your green juice tasty
- Skin the cucumber to remove its slightly grassy taste (even though this highly depends on the cucumber variety). You can also remove only half the skin to make it taste less "green" but still enjoy the benefits. In fact, cucumber skin contains vitamin C, minerals such as potassium and antioxidants. Leaving the skin on will also add fiber to your juice. Preferably choose organic cucumbers if you leave the skin on.
- Add more apple juice to make it sweeter. However, you'll also increase the fructose (natural sugar present in fruits) content of your juice. Always make sure to use 100% apple juice that is not made from concentrate.
3 benefits of green juices
- 1-2 of your 5 veggies a day
While it might be difficult for some of us to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, drinking juice can help us reach that goal. However, always drink juices in moderation and don't use them to replace whole fruits and veggies.
Drinking a large glass of green juice fuels your body with liquid, especially if it contains veggies with high moisture content. Cucumbers are for instance made of 96% water.
- Concentrate of vitamins
It is no secret that vegetables are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals (in different concentrations), especially when raw. Drinking a juice straight after it had been made is a great and simple way to boost your intake of nutrients.
When to drink a green juice?
In the morning before having breakfast or with your breakfast. This makes it the perfect addition to your morning routine. Simply replace your orange juice or your coffee with a green juice. If you're having a coffee in the morning, it is recommended to wait at least 1 hour between your juice and your coffee. Coffee is a diuretic (it makes you go to the toilet), which is why you need to give your body time to absorb the nutrients first.
During the afternoon. Drink this juice as a snack or with a snack. It will give you an energy boost to keep going until dinner.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need a high-power blender? To make green juice in a blender, it's highly recommended to use a high-power blender. It will make your juice much more smooth and remover any graininess. You could however try to make it with a hand blender or any other type of blender you have (as long as it can contain a volume of at least 250 ml). Definitely strain the juice afterward and add a little more liquid if necessary.
Tasty Green Juice For Beginners
- 1 large handful of spinach
- ⅓ cucumber
- ½ lime
- 200 ml 100% apple juice
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder or 1 cm fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds optional
- Juice the lime. Place all the ingredients in a high-power blender. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes until perfectly smooth.
- Optionally strain the juice to remove foam and remaining bits.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, make sure to let me know how you liked it by rating it and leaving a comment below! Your feedback really matters! Follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook to never miss a recipe.