Another one of my "go-to" dinners that is ready in 20-minutes only. Super simple fried rice with carrots, frozen peas and some tamari sauce.
Chose the right ingredients
- Rice: to be able to make this recipe in only 20 minutes, you need to choose a rice that has a cooking time of about 10 minutes.
- Tamari sauce: just like soy sauce, tamari sauce is made from fermented soy. The only difference is that it does not contain added wheat, making it 100% gluten free.
- Vegetable broth: you can use any type of vegetable broth you like. I recommend homemade one (always keep some in the freezer) or if you buy it in store, look for the ones in a glass jars. These usually (double check to be sure) contain less additives and flavor enhancers compared to dehydrated broth cubes.
Tips to make the perfect fried rice
I have 2 tips that make this recipe go from boring to amazing, so read carefully:
- Cook your rice in vegetable broth: this simple trick will give the entire dish a lot more flavor in comparison to rice cooked in water.
- Add some sesame oil: when frying the onions and the carrots, I like to combine olive oil and sesame oil to give the dish a nice Asian taste. I like to mix both as sesame oil has a quite strong flavor and we don't want it to dominate.
I must admit I do not cook Asian inspired dishes very often. Which is also why I don't have most of the ingredients used for that type of cuisine in my pantry (I'm talking about rice vinegar, miso paste, etc.). But having a small bottle of sesame oil and adding a tiny bit to this dish just does the trick for me. It's also really nice in salad dressing and marinades (even for vegetables).
More easy dinner ideas
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, make sure to let me know how you liked it by rating it and leaving a comment below! Your feedback really matters! Follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook to never miss a recipe.
20-min Fried Rice
- 1 yellow onion or 2-3 green onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups (380 g) quick-cooking long-grain rice
- 3 cups (700 ml) vegetable broth
- 2 cups (300 g) frozen sliced carrots or use a frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup (160 g) frozen green peas
- 4 tablespoons tamari gluten-free
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Peel and dice the onion. If you're using green onions, save the green parts as a topping.
- Heat a large saucepan with vegetable oil. When hot, sauté the onion over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add the sesame oil and the rice to the pan. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add in the frozen carrots, frozen peas, vegetable broth, and tamari. Cook over medium heat until the liquid has almost evaporated.
- Make sure the rice is cooked. If not, add a splash of vegetable broth or water and simmer until cooked.
- Optionally top with sesame seeds and the green parts of the green onions.
- Rice: to be able to make this recipe in only 20 minutes, you need to choose a quick-cooking rice that has a cooking time of 10-15 minutes. You can use brown rice but you may need to adapt the cooking time accordingly and only add the frozen vegetable when there are 10 minutes of cooking left.
- Vegetable broth: I recommend jarred or boxed vegetable broth made with minimal ingredients. You can also use bouillon powder.
- Tamari sauce: make sure it's 100% gluten-free if needed.