This red lentil and zucchini dahl is one of my favorite meals to make on busy weeknights! It has some grated zucchini for added veggies and only takes 30 minutes to make. Serve it with rice, chickpeas, gluten free wraps (or gluten free Naan).
Ingredients for this red lentil & zucchini dahl
- Red lentils: take less time to cook than other lentil varieties.
- Pureed tomatoes: also called tomato passata
- Coconut milk: choose full-fat coconut milk (70% coconut), which is usually sold in cans.
- Indian spice blend: I like to use garam masala. You can find this spice blend in any supermarket.
- Onions and garlic: to enhance the taste of the dahl.
- Zucchini: to add some extra vegetales.
Serve this red lentil & zucchini dahl with
- Rice: add carbs for a more filling meal.
- Chickpeas: add chickpeas for added plant-based protein.
- Gluten free Naan: Naan is an oven-baked flatbread often served with Indian dishes. If you can't find gluten free Naan, I recommend using gluten free wraps and slightly heating them in the oven to make them crispy.
More lentil recipes
- Vegan red lentil quiche here
- Wraps with red lentil filling here
- Balsamic vegetable puree with red lentils here
- Vegan minced meat substitute here
Red Lentil & Zucchini Dahl
- 2 zucchini (400 g)
- Olive oil
- 2 small onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 320 g red lentils
- 1 can pureed or diced tomatoes (400 g)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (400 ml) canned
- 400 ml water
- 2-3 teaspoon Indian spice blend (e.g., Garam masala) to taste
- 1 pinch of salt
- 240 g rice (60 g/serving)
- Rinse the lentils under cold water.
- Grate the zucchinis. Press them with your hands to remove excess water. Let it sit in a strainer over the sink.
- Peel and dice the onion. Peel and crush the garlic.
- Heat a large saucepan with olive oil. When hot, sauté the onion and the garlic over medium heat until transparent.
- Add the lentils, the pureed tomatoes, the coconut milk and the water to the saucepan. Stir well. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid, give it a stir and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the zucchini and the spice blend. Season with salt. Let simmer 5 more minutes. Serve alone, or with rice/chickpeas/gluten free wraps.