The Pornstar Martini is the fanciest and most glamorous passion fruit cocktail. It's chic, elegant and never fails to impress. For summer, I decided to make a frozen version that is even more refreshing!
This ice-cold Pornstar Martini is made with frozen mango but still highlights the passion fruit and vanilla aromas of the original drink. Think of it as a trendy, boozy smoothie.
If you're not drinking alcohol, I've got this alcohol-free Pornstar Martini mocktail for you. It has a bold passion fruit flavor, a velvety texture and looks just as stylish as this frozen one.
What is a Pornstar Martini?
The Pornstar Martini is a popular cocktail created in the early 2000s by Douglas Ankrah, a famous bartender and mixologist. The provocative term "pornstar" was supposedly used to evoke a sexy, fun and confident drink.
It's traditionally made with passion fruit liqueur, passion fruit puree, vanilla vodka and a little bit of lime juice. The name can be slightly misleading since the cocktail doesn't actually contain Martini (the vermouth).
Usually, it's served with a sidecar of champagne (or a shot of Prosecco). By drinking the champagne first, you're able to cleanse your palate and fully appreciate the cocktail.
Why you'll love this recipe
- This frozen Pornstar Martini is a fun and refreshing take on the London classic.
- It's made without sugar syrup. The frozen mango naturally sweetens the drink!¨
- You can make it entirely in a blender. No cocktail equipment needed!
- It's perfect for a summer garden party.
Key ingredients and substitutions
Frozen mango is needed for the frozen part of the cocktail. It adds a subtle flavor that pairs really well with the passion fruit and vanilla aromas of the cocktail. Plus, it replaces ice cubes.
Passion fruit puree is retrieved by running the inside of the fruit through a strainer to remove the seeds. The puree is sweet and tart at the same time and essential for the passion fruit flavor of this cocktail. While you could replace it with passion fruit juice, the flavor will be less intense and the cocktail slightly runnier.
Passion fruit liqueur is a basic component of a Pornstar Martini. I used Passoa, which is readily available in most liquor shops.
Vanilla vodka (e.g., Absolut Vanilia vodka) makes the cocktail boozy and adds a hint of vanilla. You can replace it with regular vodka and a splash of vanilla syrup, vanilla extract or the seeds of a vanilla pod.
Fresh lime juice balances out all the flavors of this cocktail. A few drops are usually enough.
See recipe card for exact quantities.
Elo's top tips
- Make the puree in a blender if you're making several cocktails. Add the pulp and seeds to the bowl of your blender and blend for a few seconds. Run it through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the seeds. You can store the puree in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
- Freeze your own mango if you can't find frozen mango at the store.
- Use a stick blender if you're making one or two cocktails. I personally find it easier to blend small quantities with an immersion blender.
- Use a high-speed blender if you're making more than 3 cocktails. You need quite a bit of substance for it to blend properly.
Step-by-step (with pictures)
Make the passion fruit puree. Cut ripe passion fruits in half and remove the pulp and seeds. Add them to a fine-mesh strainer that you placed over a bowl. Press the pulp through the strainer with the back of a spoon and collect the puree.
Add the frozen mango and passion fruit puree to a blender or high-rise container if using a stick blender.
Pour the passion fruit liqueur and vanilla vodka (or regular vodka and vanilla extract) into the blender/container.
Add a few drops of fresh lime juice.
Blend until perfectly smooth. Make sure there are no bits of frozen mango left. You should obtain a slushy consistency.
Pour the mixture into a coupe glass (e.g., Martini glasses) and garnish with half a fresh passion fruit. Serve it with a shot of champagne on the side.
Elo's tip: Serve the drink in a chilled cocktail glass to keep it frozen for longer.
Frequently asked questions
Any type of passion fruit liqueur can replace Passoa. Alternatively, use passion fruit juice.
Sparkling wines such as Cava, Prosecco and French Crémant are great substitutes for champagne.
To make a Pornstar Martini mocktail, you can replace the passion fruit liquor with passion fruit juice, and the vanilla vodka with a mix of apple juice and vanilla syrup. Refer to this recipe for detailed instructions.
Don’t forget to join the Cooking With Elo newsletter. You’ll get gluten-free and vegan dinner ideas sent right to your inbox.
Frozen Pornstar Martini (Passion Fruit Cocktail)
- 2.5 oz (75 ml) passion fruit puree from 2 fresh passion fruits
- 1 cup (140 g) frozen mango
- 1.5 oz (45 ml) vanilla vodka or regular vodka and ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 oz (30 ml) passion fruit liqueur such as Passoa
- A few drops of lime juice
- Place a small fine-mesh strainer on top of a bowl. Cut the passion fruits in half and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Push out as much puree as possible through the strainer with the back of a spoon (see step-by-step pictures in post above).
- Add the frozen mango, passion fruit puree, vanilla vodka, passion fruit liqueur and a few drops of lime juice to a blender (or bowl if using a stick blender).
- Blend until perfectly smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a Martini coupe and garnish with half a passion fruit.
More summer cocktail recipes
Loved it? Please rate it!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, make sure to let us know how you liked it by leaving a star rating and a comment below! Your feedback really matters! To never miss a recipe, follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook.