If I had to choose 3 words to describe this ginger cocktail, I'd say zesty, vibrant, and energizing. This fizzy cocktail is made with ginger syrup and ginger ale for a real ginger kick.
I love this ginger cocktail as an alternative to the classic Moscow mule. You can make it for happy hour or as a refreshing afternoon cocktail. It's also festive enough to be served during the holidays.
Key ingredients and substitutions
- Vodka is my spirit of choice for this cocktail. It has a neutral flavor and odor that really lets the other ingredients shine. You could however replace it with a herbal gin if you're looking for a more complex flavor profile.
- Triple sec adds enhances the citrus aromas. I like Cointreau or Grand Marnier.
- Ginger syrup sweetens the drinks while adding sharpness. I either use a storebought version made with real ginger extract or make my own (see below).
- Lemon juice and ginger really go hand in hand. It adds a zesty touch that you don't want to miss an makes this cocktail even more refreshing.
- Ginger ale enhances the ginger flavor. You can replace it with ginger beer or apple cider. See below for even more variation ideas.
Homemade ginger syrup
- Wash your whole ginger root and cut it into 1-inch pieces. You don't even have to peel it.
- Boil some water.
- Blend. Add the hot water, sugar and ginger to a blender. I use my high-speed blender and blend it for 30 seconds to 1 minute. The sugar melts in the warm water and your fresh ginger syrup is ready in no time.
- Strain. Run the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and transfer it to a glass bottle. Store it in the fridge after usage.
I really like this sharp and pungent ginger simple syrup recipe. Check it out for detailed measurements and instructions.
- Use fresh lemon juice. While bottled lemon juice can be practical, this cocktail tastes so much better with freshly squeezed citrus juice.
- Choose a ginger syrup made with real ginger extract. Most aromatized simple syrups are made with natural flavorings. I much prefer those made from real ginger extract for their authentic sharpness.
- Shake your ginger syrup before use as a deposit can form at the bottom.
- Shake your cocktail. Mixing the spirit, syrup and citrus juice in a cocktail shaker with ice cubes combines the ingredients while aerating, cooling and diluting the drink.
- Use a Mason jar if you don't have a cocktail shaker.
- Make a stunning ginger cocktail garnish by slicing a ginger root lengthwise. Alternatively, you can stick candied ginger pieces on a cocktail pick.
Step-by-step (with pictures)
STEP 1: Pour the vodka, triple sec, ginger syrup and lemon juice into a cocktail shaker or Mason jar. You can use a cocktail jigger or tablespoons to measure the exact quantities.
STEP 2: Fill the cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously until the glass turns cold.
STEP 3: Strain the mixture over fresh ice into a cocktail glass.
STEP 4: Fill it up with ginger ale and garnish with a slice of ginger.
Watch the video!
You can replace the ginger ale of this cocktail with the following options:
- Ginger beer - for a sharper, more pungent cocktail.
- Apple cider - for a warmer, milder cocktail that's perfect for fall.
- Lemonade and club soda - for a refreshing, citrusy drink.
- Kombucha - for a creative twist on this cocktail. The fermented drink goes incredibly well with the ginger syrup used in this cocktail.
Frequently asked questions
For a non-alcoholic version of this cocktail, simply leave out the vodka or add 1 ½ ounce of the alcohol-free spirit of your choice.
Generally, you can store ginger syrup in the refrigerator for 2-4 weeks. If you're using bottled ginger syrup, check the label for preservation indications.
Don’t forget to join the Cooking With Elo newsletter. You’ll get gluten-free and vegan dinner ideas sent right to your inbox.
Lemony Cocktail With Ginger Syrup
- Cocktail shaker or Mason jar
- Cocktail glass
- Ice cubes
- 1 ounce (30 ml) vodka 2 tablespoons
- ½ ounce (15 ml) triple sec* 1 tablespoon
- ½ ounce (15 ml) ginger syrup 1 tablespoon
- 1 ½ ounces (45 ml) lemon juice 2 tablespoons
- 4 ounces (120 ml) ginger ale
- 2 slices of fresh ginger for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker or Mason jar with ice. Pour in the vodka, ginger syrup and lemon juice. Shake energetically.
- Strain the mixture into a cocktail glass that you filled with ice cubes.
- Top it off with ginger ale and garnish with a slice of fresh ginger.
- Triple Sec: I like to use Cointreau.
More cocktail recipes
Loved it? Please rate it!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, make sure to let me know how you liked it by leaving a star rating and a comment below. Your feedback really matters! To never miss a recipe, follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook.