Easy stove top rice pudding recipe made with risotto rice, rice milk and coconut milk to keep it vegan. It is sweetened with maple syrup and flavored with vanilla. This is definitely the most creamy dairy free rice pudding that doesn't taste like coconut. Enjoy hot or cold.
Which rice to use for rice pudding?
The best rice to use for rice pudding is Arborio rice. It is a type of Italian risotto rice that you can find at every supermarket. This short-grain rice is fairly round and doesn't take too long to cook. When cooked with milk it becomes deliciously creamy and not too mushy.
Money-saving tip: buying plain Arborio rice in the rice section of your supermarket might save you a lot money compared to buying rice labeled as "pudding rice". These rice packs usually contain arborio rice but are more expensive.
If you don't have arborio rice on hand or can't find it at your supermarket, you could also use long-grain rice or Carnaroli risotto rice. Note that these two varieties might take longer to cook. Sushi rice is a type of Japanese short-grain rice that might work great as well. However, I have not tested any of these alternative options.
Which plant-based milk to use for rice pudding?
I personally always make this vegan rice pudding with rice drink as I find it has a very neutral flavor and is already slightly sweet. You could however also use your favorite soy drink, almond drink or gluten free oat drink. Try a vanilla flavored drink for an even more intense vanilla flavor in your rice pudding. However, you might have to reduce the amount of maple syrup you add, since flavored drinks are usually sweeter as well.
The other milk alternative I use to make vegan rice pudding is coconut milk. The thickness of coconut milk will make the pudding extremely creamy even though it is dairy free. It is important to chose canned coconut milk with a least 60% coconut to obtain a similar result. Do not replace canned coconut milk for boxed coconut milk or any other plant-based drink. The reason is that coconut milk in a carton is usually much more diluted than canned coconut milk.
How to make rice pudding
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Easy stove top rice pudding recipe made with risotto rice, rice milk and coconut milk to keep it vegan.
- Scoop out the coconut cream
Scoop out the hardened coconut cream out of a can of full-fat coconut milk. Save the coconut water for smoothies.
- Add the rice and the milk
Add the rice, rice milk (or other plant-based drink), coconut cream and maple syrup to a saucepan. Bring it to a boil.
- Simmer over low heat
Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients
Add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
Does the rice pudding taste like coconut?
Obviously taste is very subjective. However as someone who doesn't like coconut, this rice pudding doesn't taste like coconut. This was confirmed by readers who tested this recipe, as well as several family members. The sweetness of the maple syrup and the vanilla flavor completely overpower the coconut taste. Also, this vegan rice pudding recipe only calls for about ¼ of coconut cream versus ¾ of rice drink.
What to do with leftover coconut water?
Note that you can store coconut water in the fridge for up to two days. Transfer it from the can to an air-tight container and put it in the fridge.
- Coconut water is delicious in smoothies and very hydrating.
- Add the leftover coconut water to a veggie curry made with the vegetables and the curry paste of your choice.
- Add it to as soup for a subtile coconut flavor.
- Freeze the leftover coconut water. I like to freeze it in ice cube trays. Once firm, store them in a box or zip bag in the freezer.
How to store rice pudding?
Simply store it in the fridge for up to three days. Transfer the rice pudding to an air-tight container or cover single portions with bees wrap or aluminum foil.
How to reheat rice pudding?
You can either eat the rice pudding cold or reheat it in the microwave or on the stove. Add a splash of plant-based drink before you reheat it to moisten the top layer, which might have gotten a little dry.
More vegan and healthy snacks
If you tried this recipe, make sure to let me know how you liked it by rating it and leaving a comment below! Your feedback really matters! Follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook to never miss a recipe.
Vegan Rice Pudding
- 100 g Arborio risotto rice*
- 350 ml rice drink**
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (with 60% coconut)
- 1-2 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1-2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Open a can of full fat coconut milk (don't shake it). Scoop out the hardened coconut cream sitting on top with a teaspoon. Use a scale to weigh 100 g of the coconut cream and add it to a saucepan***
- Add the risotto rice, rice milk (or other plant-based milk) and maple syrup to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once it starts bubbling, reduce to low heat and simmer 20 minutes. It will thicken when cooling down.
- Add the vanilla extra and a pinch of salt. Optionally add cinnamon. Enjoy hot or cold.
Did you like this recipe? Let me know!