Delicious gluten-free, flourless olive oil chocolate cake WITHOUT butter and flour (also dairy-free). Super easy chocolate cake recipe that is perfect for all the chocolate lovers.
Perfect chocolate cake for Valentine's day
This gluten-free olive oil cake is ideal to conquer the heart of your Valentine. It's really easy to make, requires only 6 ingredients and no baking skills. You really can't do anything wrong with this recipe. However, make sure to make the cake ahead of time so that it has completely cooled down by the time of serving.
- Dark chocolate: I like to use chocolate with at least 70% cocoa content for this olive oil chocolate cake. You can however use any chocolate you want. Top the cake with some more melted chocolate if you would like.
- Eggs: they make the cake fluffy and moist. They are necessary for this flourless recipe.
- Sugar: this cake only contains 80 grams of sugar, which is not much compared to regular chocolate cake recipes.
- Ground almonds: you can use almond flour or simply grind whole almonds in a blender or food processor.
- Baking powder: helps the cake rise
- Olive oil: it replaces butter in this recipe. Note that can't taste the olive oil per say.
- You can use milk chocolate to replace the dark chocolate if you prefer.
- You can substitute ground almonds with ground hazelnuts or cashews. Simply blend them in a food processor.
- You can substitute brown sugar for white sugar. I didn't test substituting it with coconut sugar, honey, agave or maple syrup. If you do, note that the texture might be different.
- This chocolate cake has been tested exclusively with olive oil. However you might be able to replace it with 120 ml melted coconut oil or melted vegan butter.
How to store the cake
You can store the cake in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. To prevent it from drying out, only cut off slices when serving.
More gluten free chocolate dessert recipes
- Foolproof chocolate lava cake (+ my secret tip for that perfect runny center)
- 2-ingredient vegan chocolate mousse
- Healthy beetroot brownies
Don’t forget to join the Cooking With Elo newsletter. You’ll get gluten-free and vegan dinner ideas sent right to your inbox.
Gluten-Free Olive Oil Chocolate Cake
For the cake
- 7 ounces (200 g) dark chocolate (70% or 55-60% for a sweeter taste) + more for topping is desired
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (160 g) brown sugar
- 2 cups (200 g) almond flour or grind whole almonds in a food processor
- ½ package (9 g) (9 g) baking powder
- ½ cup (120 ml) olive oil (120 ml)
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave (at 650W, stirring every 20s). Wait around 10 minutes for it to cool down.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the cane sugar until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Add the olive oil and the melted chocolate and combine.
- Finally add the baking powder and the ground almonds.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased cake tin.
- Bake it for 35 to 40 min at 180°C or until a tester comes out clean. If not clean, put the cake back in the oven for a few minutes.
- Let it cool completely before serving (this cake tastes best when cooled). When cold, drizzle some more melted chocolate on top if you'd like.
- You can either buy almond flour or grind whole almonds in a blender or a small food processor. You can also replace the almonds with hazelnuts or cashew nuts.
If you tried this recipe, make sure to let me know how you liked it by rating it and leaving a comment below! Your feedback really matters! Follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook to never miss a recipe.