Warm quiche with loaded with potato slices and covered with a vegan filling made from red lentils and coconut milk. Spiced up with some Garam Masala, a delicious Indian spice blend.
Vegan Red Lentil Quiche
- 1 gluten free shortcrust pastry or pizza dough store-bought
- 150 g red lentils*
- 400 ml coconut milk in a can** use only the coconut cream floating on top
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoon Garam Masala spice blend
- 1 spring onion or onion
- 5 small potatoes or 2 to 3 medium potatoes
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cm fresh ginger grated (with a grater or garlic press)
For the red lentil filling and the potatoes
- Rinse the lentils under cold water. Cook them according to the instructions on the package.
- Wash and cut the spring onion into small rings (the white part and the bottom of the green part).
- Peel the potatoes and cut them 0,5 cm thick slices.
- Heat a large pan with 1 tbsp. olive oil. When hot, add the Garam Masala and the ginger. Fry for 1 minute over medium heat. Add the spring onion rings and sauté for a few more minutes. Set aside.
- Add another tablespoon olive oil to the same pan. Fry the potatoes over medium heat. Flip them every now and then.
- In a large bowl blend the cooked lentils with the coconut cream (see notes). Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the spring onions to the lentil preparation.
For the quiche
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Roll out the quiche dough and place it in quiche pan. Prick the bottom with a fork. Bake for 10-15min.
- Take the dough out of the oven. Cover the bottom of the dough with the potato slices. Cover with the lentil preparation. Bake for another 25 minutes.
- Take the quiche out of the oven and garnish with fresh spring onions and coconut milk if desired.
More recipes here