Thick and creamy vegan gravy made with dried porcini mushrooms and Belgian apple-pear fruit syrup. Serve it with mashed potatoes for a filling dinner. It only requires 15 minutes preparation time.
Vegan gravy with porcini
For those of you who didn't know, gravy is a brown sauce usually made from the juices of meats. This vegan gravy is based on dried porcini mushrooms and cashew nuts. However it does not taste like mushroom at all.
The gravy has a slightly sweet taste due to the addition of apple-pear fruit syrup and spices such as nutmeg and cinnamon. This syrup is also known as "sirop de Liège" in French or "appel en peer stroop" in Dutch.
This vegan gravy pairs really well with a simple carrot and potato mash. In fact, this is another traditional Belgian recipe that is often called "stoemp".
More festive vegan main dishes
Looking for vegan christmas recipes?
Discover my 13 vegan christmas recipes you won't believe are actually easy and healthy, right here! In the post you will find vegan appetizers, main dishes, veggie sides and vegan dessert recipes. Whether you make a christmas dinner for two or you need ideas for the family, I'm sure you will some some inspiration.
If you tried this recipe, make sure to let me know how you liked it by rating it and leaving a comment below! Your feedback really matters! Follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook to never miss a recipe.
Vegan Gravy with a Belgian Twist
- 30 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 100 g carrots about 1 medium carrot
- olive oil
- 100 ml red wine I use Merlot
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 50 g cashew nuts
- 4 cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon apple-pear fruit syrup also known as sirop de Liège in French or appel en peer stroop in Dutch
- Rehydrate the mushrooms in lukewarm water.
- Peel and dice the onion and the carrot.
- Heat a saucepan with olive oil. When hot, sauté the onion until translucent. Add the carrot dices and sauté for 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Deglaze with red wine. Simmer over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the porcini mushrooms.
- Add the vegetable stock, mushrooms, cashews, cloves, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg to the saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the apple-pear fruit syrup. Simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Blend on high using a hand mixer or a powerful blender*. Add a splash of water or vegetable stock if you prefer a thinner consistency.