Mashed potato dish with carrots, also known as "stoemp" or "potée aux carottes" in Belgium. Delicious when served with gravy.
Serve with vegan gravy
This simple potato and carrot mash pairs really well with my vegan gravy. The gravy is made from dried dried porcini mushrooms and cashew nut but it doesn't actually taste like mushroom. It has a slightly sweet taste due tot the addition of apple-pear fruit syrup and spices such as cinnamon.
If you tried this recipe, make sure to let me know how you liked it by rating it and leaving a comment below! Your feedback really matters! Follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook to never miss a recipe.
Belgian Potato and Carrot Mash
- 1 large onion or 2 small onions
- 1 kg potatoes I use the Nicola variety
- 600 g carrots
- olive oil
- 150 ml white wine
- 400 ml water
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Peel the carrots and the potatoes. Cut in 1cm-large pieces*.
- Heat a large pot with olive oil. When hot, add then onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the carrots and caramelize over medium-high for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and let cook for 5 minutes. Stir regularly and make sure the vegetables don't stick to the pot.
- Deglaze with white wine. Simmer 3 minutes over medium-high heat. The wine should completely evaporate.
- Add the water. Cover with a lid and reduce to medium heat. Let cook 25 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and cook 10 more minutes.
- Season with salt and roughly mash with a potato masher.