Delicious 1-pot cauliflower dahl made with red lentils, coconut milk and thaï curry paste. It requires a prep time of 10 minutes only and makes a quick and healthy weeknight dinner.
- Red lentils are the base for this dahl and make it very nutritious.
- Vegetables: cauliflower, sweet potatoes and onions gives the dish a lot of flavor. You could make a dahl with any vegetables, however it's nice to keep it seasonal at the end of winter/beginning of spring.
- Canned goods: coconut milk and diced tomatoes make it super creamy.
- Thaï curry paste or garam masala seasoning give the meal a spicy touch.
Easy 1-pot dinner
Red lentil dahl is definitely one of my go-to dinners when I need something quick and nutritious. One-pot meals are life-savers on busy weeknights and this is one my favorite. Simply cut up all of the veggies, sauté them in a pot for a few minutes, add the liquids and let it simmer until cooked.
This cauliflower dahl is a great option at the end of winter and beginning of spring. During summer, I love to make this simple zucchini dahl recipe.
Step-by-step with pictures
Cut up all the veggies. Sauté the onion in a pot or cocotte with olive oil. Add the veggies and sauté for several minutes.
Add the other ingredients: the lentils, the coconut milk, the diced tomatoes and the water. Simmer with the lid on until cooked.
Pro tip: no need to take out measuring cup to measure the right amount of water, simply fill the empty can of coconut milk with water and add it to the pot.
How to store/freeze dahl
If you have left-overs or if you're meal prepping, transfer the cauliflower dahl to air-tight containers when cooked. You can keep the dahl in the fridge for up to 3 days.
It's also a freezer-friendly meal that you can keep in your freezer for up to 6 months. To defrost it, let it sit in the fridge over night or on the counter top for several hours before serving. Reheat it in a pot or in the microwave.
More easy 1-pot meals
- Zucchini dahl
- Fried rice with carrots and peas
- Pasta with the best tomato sauce (from canned tomatoes)
1-Pot Cauliflower Dahl
- 1 onion
- ½ cauliflower (approx. 500 g)
- 1 large sweet potato (400 g)
- Olive oil
- 200 g red lentils
- 1 can diced tomatoes (400 g)
- 1 can coconut milk (400 ml)
- 400 ml water
- 2-3 teaspoon red curry paste or garam masala seasoning
- 1 pinch of salt
- Wash the cauliflower and chop the head into small florets (or take them apart with your fingers). Peel and dice the onion and the sweet potato.
- Heat a pot or cocotte with olive oil. When hot, sauté the onion until translucent (see post above for step-by-step pictures).
- Add the cauliflower and the sweet potato and sauté for 10 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk, diced tomatoes and water. Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the garam masala and a pinch of salt.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, make sure to let me know how you liked it by rating it and leaving a comment below! Your feedback really matters! Follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook to never miss a recipe.