This must be the smoothest and silkiest butternut squash soup ever! The secret to make it creamy, while keeping it vegan, is to add a some potatoes and a peeled zucchini.
Best butternut squash soup recipe
This squash soup recipe is completely vegan and gluten free. I love to serve it with a splash of coconut milk and some mixed seeds for additional fiber. They also contain healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, making them the perfect soup topping.
How to make a vegan soup creamy
- Add some potatoes: my grand-mother always use to add 2 or 3 potatoes to any soup to make it smoother and more satiating. I like to do the same.
- Add a peeled zucchini: this is my best-kept secret to make any vegan soup super silky. Removing the peel allows the soup to keep its original color.
- Use a high-power blender: this might seem obvious, but a powerful blender is a necessary tool to get that perfectly smooth soup. This can be a high-power hand blender or any other kitchen blender. If you use a countertop blender, make sure to remove the smaller lid before blending if the soup is still hot (or wait until it has cooled down).
Spice rotation for soups
It's no secret that spices often make a dish. Leave them out and it won't be the same... This is why my favorite thing to do when I prepare some soup is to do a spice rotation. When cooking, I only spice the soup with salt and pepper. Then, when I serve it, I like to bring a tray with different spices to the table: an Italian spice blend (with sage, oregano and rosemary), an Indian spice blend (such as Garam Masala), a 4-spice blend for those who love nutmeg and ginger and even chili if someone wants it spicy. That way, everyone can customize his or her own soup with the spices he or she wants.
This is also a great tip when freezing soup. After defrosting it, you can still chose what spices you would like to add, depending on your mood. It allows you to transform your dinner by giving it Italian or an Indian touch in several seconds.
More soup recipes
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, make sure to let me know how you liked it by rating it and leaving a comment below! Your feedback really matters! Follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook to never miss a recipe.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 onions
- 1 (1 kg) butternut squash
- 4 small potatoes
- 2 zucchinis
- Olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- water enough to cover the vegetables
- 4 teaspoon mixed seeds
- 4 tablespoon full-fat coconut milk
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Peel the butternut squash*, the potatoes and the zucchini and cut them into pieces.
- Heat a large pot with olive oil. When hot, sauté the onion until translucent.
- Add the butternut squash. Sauté on high for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and the zucchini. Cover the vegetables with water**. Cook with the lid on for 45 minutes over medium heat.
- Blend the soup with a high power blender. Add a little vegetable broth or water for a thinner consistency.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. If desired, serve with some coconut milk and mixed seeds.