Delicious tomato and eggplant pasta dish with an amazing homemade sauce. The secret to that authentic Italian taste is to add a lot of olive oil when cooking the eggplants.
Homemade tomato & eggplant pasta dish
There’s nothing better than a homemade sauce, do you agree? And yet we do it so rarely ... I admit that it’s easier to use a jar of store-bought sauce. But why not leave the jar in the pantry this time and make a homemade tomato and eggplant sauce? This sauce is perfect to serve with a pasta dish but could also be used in a lasagna! Do not hesitate to double the proportions and freeze individual servings.
The "1-pot-1-pan" recipes are very simple and uncomplicated as they require very little equipment. A cooking pot and a frying pan are usually all you need.
Homemade Tomato & Eggplant Sauce
- 1 red onion
- 400 g eggplant
- 700 g fresh tomatoes
- 50-70 ml olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon Italian spice blend
- 2-3 teaspoon pesto vegan
- Wash the vegetables and start by dicing the red onion.
- Next, cut the eggplant into approximately 1 cm cubes.
- In a large skillet or casserole dish, sauté the onion and eggplant with the olive oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes, while stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into pieces.
- After 10 minutes, add the tomatoes to the pan, cover with a lid and simmer 35 to 40 minutes over low heat.
- Remove the lid, and let the sauce thicken for another 15 minutes.
- Add the salt, Italian spices and the pesto.
- Boil water for the pasta. Cook the pasta according to the instructions provided on the packaging. As soon as the pasta is cooked, drain it and rinse it under cold water*. Serve with the sauce.
Did you like this recipe? Let me know!