Here's a crispy roasted chickpea seasoning recipe that you're going to love! Full of Mediterranean flavors, these crunchy oven-roasted chickpeas are one of those easy recipes that can quickly take a dish from fine to fabulous.
The choice of seasonings really makes all the difference when it comes to roasted chickpeas. This recipe is an all-rounder that goes well with a variety of dishes and pleases both kids and adults.
You can add these crispy chickpeas to grain bowls, roasted veggies, and pasta. Alternatively, use them as a soup or salad topper. But personally, I usually eat them as a healthy and hearty snack straight from the jar because they are THAT GOOD.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Crunchy texture: Roasting chickpeas in the oven creates a crispy exterior while maintaining a soft, chewy center, making them a satisfying snack or topping for salads and bowls.
- Nutritious: Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals, making them a healthy snack or addition to any meal.
- Easy to make with basic ingredients: Roasting chickpeas is a simple process requiring minimal preparation, a can of chickpeas, and a few simple ingredients.
- Affordable: Canned chickpeas are a cheap pantry staple that can be easily transformed into a delicious snack or meal, making it a budget-friendly recipe.
- Perfect for meal prep: Roasted chickpeas can be made in large batches and stored for up to a week, making them a great addition to your meal prep routine. This is a super way to pimp your favorite salad!
- Great substitute for croutons: Roasted chickpeas make a tasty and healthy substitute for croutons on salads, soups, and other dishes, providing an added crunch and flavor.
- Savory protein-packed snack to swap out for potato chips!
- Kid-friendly: Kids love roasted chickpeas' crunchy texture and savory flavors, making them a great snack or addition to a kid's meal.
Key ingredients and substitutions
- Canned chickpeas/Garbanzo beans: If you don't have canned chickpeas, you can use dried chickpeas that have been soaked and cooked until tender. Use about 1 ½ cups of cooked chickpeas for every 15-ounce can of chickpeas. You can also use other types of beans, such as cannellini or navy beans, instead of chickpeas.
- Tomato paste adds a rich tomato flavor and helps the spices stick to the chickpeas. If you don't have tomato paste, you can use tomato sauce, ketchup, or even barbecue sauce. Use about 1 tablespoon of sauce for every tablespoon of tomato paste called for in the recipe.
- Harissa: This North African hot sauce is made from chili peppers, garlic, and spices. If you don't have harissa, you can use other hot sauces, such as sriracha or Tabasco, or you can use red pepper flakes. Use about 1 teaspoon of hot sauce or ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes for every tablespoon of harissa called for in the recipe.
- Fresh garlic/sub garlic powder: Fresh garlic adds a pungent flavor to the chickpeas. You can use garlic powder or minced garlic from a jar if you don't have fresh garlic. Use about ½ teaspoon of garlic powder or 1 teaspoon of minced garlic for every clove of fresh garlic called for in the recipe.
- Dried thyme and oregano are classic Mediterranean herbs that pair well with chickpeas. If you don't have dried thyme or oregano, you can use other dried herbs, such as rosemary or basil.
Other spices (optional), such as black pepper, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, or curry powder, and taco seasoning can add heat and flavor to the chickpeas. You can adjust the amounts to your liking.
- Watch the chickpeas for the last 10 minutes, as they can burn pretty quickly. You want them to be crispy to the touch. Cover with aluminum foil if they start getting dark but are not crispy yet.
- Remove chickpea skins for easier digestion. Submerge them in a bowl with water and rub them in between your hands. The loose skins will swim to the surface and can easily be removed with a skimmer.
STEP 1: Drain and rinse the chickpeas in a fin-mesh sieve.
STEP 2: Dry the chickpeas well with paper towels or a clean dish towel to remove excess moisture.
STEP 3: Make the seasoning. Peel and crush the garlic with a garlic press or mince it finely with a knife. Combine the olive oil, tomato paste, harissa, garlic, oregano, and salt in a medium bowl.
STEP 4: Add the dried chickpeas to the bowl and toss them until evenly coated.
STEP 5: Place the coated chickpeas, in a single layer, on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
STEP 6: Bake them in your preheated oven for 15-20 minutes (fan) until golden brown and crispy. Cool the chickpeas to room temperature.
Store in an airtight container: this is to prevent moisture from getting in, which can cause them to become soft or stale.
Keep in a dry place: Store roasted chickpeas in a dry place away from direct sunlight, as moisture and light can affect their texture and flavor.
Consume within a week: Roasted chickpeas can last up to a week when stored correctly in an airtight container in a dry place. However, for the best quality and flavor, consuming them within a few days of roasting is recommended.
Frequently asked questions
Eat them as a snack or pop them into a salad. Replace regular croutons with these healthier alternatives.
It's likely that they either weren't dried properly after being drained and rinsed or coated in enough oil.
Don’t forget to join the Cooking With Elo newsletter. You’ll get gluten-free and vegan dinner ideas sent right to your inbox.
BEST Roasted Chickpea Seasoning
- 14 ounces (400 g) canned chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-2 teaspoons harissa if you like it spicy
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 410°F (210°C).
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Peel and crush the garlic with a garlic press or mince it very finely with a knife.
- In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, tomato paste, harissa, garlic, oregano, and salt.
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl and give it a good toss until they are evenly coated.
- Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake them for 20-30 minutes (fan) until golden and crispy.
Loved it? Please rate it!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, make sure to let me know how you liked it by leaving a star rating and a comment below. Your feedback really matters! To never miss a recipe, follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook.
Did you like this recipe? Let me know!