- ½ small seedless watermelon
- 5 ripe tomatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds for topping, optional
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons red wine vinegar sub apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Balsamic glaze optional
Cut off the top and bottom of the watermelon. Place it on one side and run a sharp knife along the rind (like you would peel a pineapple). Cut it vertically into 6-8 slices. Then, cut in horizontally to form small cubes.
Wash the tomatoes and cut them into wedges.
In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the red wine vinegar, maple syrup, oregano, salt and pepper. Chop the mint leaves and stir them into the dressing.
Add everything to a large salad bowl and toss well. Garnish with hemp seeds, more mint leaves and balsamic glaze (if desired).
- Optional add-ins: sliced cucumber, kalamata olives, red onion slices.
- How to pick a ripe watermelon: first, look for a heavy and round watermelon (the elongated ones tend to be watery). Then, search for a yellow-orange spot, which indicates that the watermelon is full of flavor. Avoid watermelons with white field spots. Finally, look for dark and dull watermelons, shiny ones are not ripe.
Calories: 286kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 40g