For the roasted butternut squash
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
For the stuffing
- 1 small onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 celery sticks
- ⅔ cup whole grain rice cooking time of 20 minutes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup crushed walnuts
- 2 handfuls dried cranberries
For the chimichurri
- 1 cup parsley
- 1-2 cloves of garlic more to taste
- ⅓ cup virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 mild red chili or ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
Roast the butternut squash
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Cut the butternut squash in half. Rub the cut side with a little oil and coconut sugar (see step-by-step pictures in post above). Place the butternut squash on a baking sheet cut-side down.
Roast for 45 minutes. Prick the squash with a fork. When it is done if the squash is soft and the fork should slide right through. If it's not done, roast it for 5-15 more minutes depending on its size.
Prepare the vegan stuffing
Peel the onion and the carrots. Wash the celery. Finely mince the onion, carrots and celery with a sharp knife or in a food chopper.
Heat a pan or skillet with olive oil. When hot, sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes over high heat while stirring continuously.
Reduce to medium heat. Add the rice and poultry seasoning. Sauté for 2 minutes. Pour the vegetable broth into the pan, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes (or according to the cooking time of your rice).
When the broth is absorbed, add the walnuts, butternut squash flesh and cranberries. Give it a good mix. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Assemble the stuffed butternut squash
Remove the seeds from the butternut squash with a spoon. Scoop out the remaining flesh, leaving about 1-inch on the sides (see step-by-step- pictures).
Chop the flesh very finely and add it to the stuffing.
Tightly pack the butternut squash boats with stuffing. They should be heaping full.
Shortly before serving, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Reheat the stuffed butternut squash for 10 to 12 minutes until warm. Serve with the chimichurri.
- Make the recipe in the following order: roast the butternut squash, make the chimichurri, make the rice stuffing. You want to end with the stuffing because you'll add the butternut squash flesh once you scooped it out of the roasted squash.
- One stuffed butternut squash boat equals one serving.
Calories: 458kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 9g | Calcium: 7mg