Incredibly flavorful gluten-free chili seasoning that is perfect to add to your chili and taco recipes, but also to stir-fried vegetables and marinades. This seasoning is relatively mild and great if you don't like it too spicy.
Why you should make your own seasonings
Avoid additives: seasoning mixes sold by known brands (especially the ones in small packets) often contain many additives. These additives include among others: maltodextrin, (natural) flavorings, citric acid, vegetable oils, silicon dioxide, starches, cornflour, and more. Making your own spice blends simply allows you to go for clean ingredients and seasoning mixes that are made of 100% spices.
Avoid allergens: if you have food intolerances, make sure to double-check the labels of your seasonings as well. Store-bought seasonings can contain gluten or dairy in form of wheat starch, "modified" starch (which can be wheat starch if not specified otherwise) or milk powder. Making your own spice blends is an easy way to have total control over allergens.
What is chili seasoning made of?
This gluten-free chili seasoning mix is super easy to make and requires only 7 spices that you most probably already have at home!
- Paprika gives the spice blend its gorgeous red color and adds flavor.
- Cumin is the one essential spice for anything Mexican.
- Cayenne pepper makes the seasoning slightly spicy, but tolerable.
- Oregano is the only herb in this spice blend.
- Garlic is simply a must and should not be left out.
- Black pepper rounds it all off.
- Salt is a know flavor enhancer. Note that you will probably not have to add salt to your dish or only make slight adjustments.
How to make your own chili seasoning
- Carefully clean and dry a spice container.
- Add the paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano, garlic powder, salt and black pepper to the container. Use a small funnel to avoid spilling.
- Store in a dark and dry place
Frequently Asked Questions
pepper scale. However, by adding only 2 teaspoons to the mix and cutting it with other spices, the seasoning remains relatively mild.
Chili powder is usually a blend of ground chili peppers and other spices such as cumin and garlic. This spice blend could, per definition, be considered a chili powder.
What to make with a Mexican spice blend
You can totally use this spice blend as an all-purpose mexican seasoning.
- Mexican veggie stir fry: great to add to a seasonal vegetable stir fry. Add some canned corn for a Mexican vibe.
- Oven-baked sweet potatoes: Mexican-style sweet potatoes are such a great side dish. Peel 4 sweet potatoes, cut them in slices, drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle about 1 heaped teaspoon of seasoning.
- Taco seasoning: perfect to make your favorite taco recipe on taco Tuesday.
- Mexican marinade for chicken or beef: mix some olive oil, with 1 tablespoon of this spice blend and use it as a marinade any type of meat.
- Mexico-flavored guacamole: mash 1-2 avocado, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and 1-2 teaspoons of Mexican seasoning. Add some chopped red onion and tomatoes if you would like.
Recipes you should try
This homemade Mexican spice blend will take these vegan chili-stuffed sweet potatoes to the next level. They are super easy to make, require only pantry items and are ready in 35 minutes. If you're not a fan of stuffed potatoes, you can pair the vegan chili with taco shells, gluten-free tortillas or rice.
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe from the blog, make sure to let me know how you liked it by rating it and leaving a comment below! Your feedback really matters! Follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook to never miss a recipe.
Gluten-Free Chili Seasoning
- Measuring spoons
- Air-tight spice container
- Small funnel
- 2 tablespoons ground paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Clean and dry a spice container.
- Add all the spice to a small mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Fill the container with the spice mix. You can use a small funnel to avoid spillage.
- Store in a dry and dark place.