Delicious beetroot carpaccio served with a slice of pear, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a walnut-sesame crunch. Ready in 20 minutes only.
Vegan beetroot carpaccio
Beetroot is the perfect vegetable to make a vegan carpaccio. I like to use pre-cooked beetroots, which are usually vacuum-packed. You can find them in any supermarket. All you need to do is to thinly slice them, beautifully arrange them on a plate and add a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Make the beetroot carpaccio ahead of time
If you would like to prepare the beetroot carpaccio the day before, I recommend saving the juice that is in the package. Thinly slice the beetroots, and store them in their juice to prevent drying. Put them in an air-tight container and keep them in the fridge for maximum 1 day. Arrange them on plate with the rest of the ingredients shortly before serving.
The most delicious walnut-sesame crunch topping
The only ingredients you need are walnuts, sesame seeds, some maple syrup and a generous pinch of salt. The crunchiness and saltiness of this topping perfectly complements the beetroot carpaccio.
Simply combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Heat a small pan with a little olive oil. When hot, add the nut mixture and cook it over medium heat for 5 minutes. Then, shortly caramelize over high heat until golden brown. When it has cooled down, break the walnut-sesame crunch into small pieces.
This walnut sesame topping is also great on any soup or salad.
More vegan starters and appetizers
If you tried this recipe, make sure to let me know how you liked it by rating it and leaving a comment below! Your feedback really matters! Follow me on Instragram, Pinterest and Facebook to never miss a recipe.
Vegan Beetroot Carpaccio with Pear
For the walnut sesame crunch
For the carpaccio
- 4 small pre-cooked beetroots vacuum-packed
- 1 pear William's variety
- 1 drizzle of olive oil
- 1 drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper I use Sichuan pepper
For the walnut-sesame crunch
- Thinly crush the walnuts with a knife.
- In a small bowl, mix the walnuts, the sesame seeds and the maple syrup. Add a generous pinch of salt.
- Heat a small pan with a little olive oil. When hot, add the nut mixture and flatten it out with a spoon. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Then, give it a stir and shortly caramelize over high heat until golden to dark brown. Mix constantly to prevent burning. Let cool while you prepare the carpaccio.
- When cold, break the walnut-sesame crunch into small pieces.
For the carpaccio
- Cut the beets into thin slices (about 2 to 3 mm thick) using a sharp knife or a mandolin.
- Cut 4 slices off the pear.
- Arrange the beet slices in a circle on 4 small plates. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with a slice of pear and the walnut sesame crunch.